Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Canning....

I thought I had waited too long to pick tomatoes this year, but on our way to church last Sunday I noticed the Tomato Farm near here still had signs out to pick your own, so Tuesday after sewing circle I stopped and picked a 5 gal. bucket full.
And this is what I did that afternoon.....


Smelled up my whole house, that salsa smell!! :)


I realized that 5 gallons was just not very much....I only got 2 batches of salsa from it and I had also wanted to try some tomato soup, so on Thursday, we went back and picked another 10 gallons. :)

My helpers.....


When it is near the end of the season, they bring in Mexican's to pick....as we were just getting started picking I noticed all their trucks lining up. I was thinking, Uh-Oh!! We are going to be waiting awhile to get out of here!! But till we were done, the line was almost gone! The workers at the farm unload those trucks so quickly!!

Loaded down.... :) I left the bucket in the van as it got fuller and just walked up and down the rows, loading my shirt!! ;)

Look at all those wasted tomatoes! I found a few good ones on the ground, but most of them had bad spots or were smashed!

Tomato fields....

Saturday was our church's annual bike hike (pics later) but Danny asked to have his friend Jay over after the ride and lunch was over. His mom agreed much to the boys delight! :)

The kids had fun playing all kinds of stuff....

While they were playing, I started on my first batch of tomato soup....chopped onions and celery and started cooking them.....then I added the tomatoes....

The children were more than willing to help crank out the soup!! :) Thanks to Alma for letting me borrow her Victorio Strainer!! :) I hope to be able to buy one some day!!


All together I got 4 batches of salsa, 12 quarts of soup and 2 quarts of Pico de Gallo!! :) I still have a few tomatoes left and want to make a little more pico today! Then I'll be ready to see no more tomatoes for awhile!! :P But it feels good to have the jars filled and on the shelf! Well, they aren't on the shelf quite yet. I need to clean up my big closet a little to make room for it all!! Sounds like a good job for a rainy day!!

One thing I enjoyed about canning was the time I had to think!! :) It seems there is so much going on in our lives and sometimes you just need to be able to be still and sort through everything! Be blessed~

2 comments:

Judith Berry said...

Love the song on your site. The tomato products all sound good. I haven't done anything with tomatoes for a very long time. It doesn't help that I don't have much of a place to put canned goods. Tho I might have to make some tomato soup again sometime. Can't buy the homemade taste in the stores. Hope you got your closet cleaned out. Have a good day. We are getting rain today, but I can't be at home to enjoy it. I need to run to town. ~Judith

Anonymous said...

I wish we had tomato farms close by!! I haven't had good success with growing tomatoes my my garden the last couple years. I'm sure your salsa is tasty!!
-coleensr